Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Scottsbluff council looks to fill Schaub’s seat

Scottsbluff council looks to fill Schaub’s seat

{{featured_button_text}}

The Scottsbluff city council discussed the procedure to find a replacement for outgoing council member Terry Schaub.

Schaub, who had been elected to his first four-year term on the council in 2018, submitted his resignation on Aug. 2. The council was required to acknowledge and accept the resignation in public before the process of filling Schaub’s seat could commence. They did so during Monday’s meeting.

“Tonight is the official notification to the public that we will be accepting letters of interest,” city manager Dustin Rief said.

The vacant seat is open to any citizen who lives within Scottsbluff city lines who has also been registered to vote.

“By not being a registered voter,they’re automatically disqualified,” Rief said.

Applications to fill the seat must be submitted before Tuesday, Aug. 24, at which point the council will send out questionnaires to applicants they want to consider for filling the post. After filling out the questionnaire, some applicants will be invited for an interview. Rief said the council does not have to interview everyone who applies.

“There’s been quite a bit of interest, about six or seven (people) ... We’ve received just one letter of interest so far,” Rief said.

If there is only one person who officially declares their interest, he said the council would have to select them. The seat must be filled within 30 days, or by Sept. 13.

The council also approved an increase to the Nebraska Public Power District lease payment by .5% to the cap of 14 percent. It had increased by the same amount each year since 2019.

The mayor and current council members also quickly reviewed claims on the city and looked at last month’s financial report during the meeting.

Get Government & Politics updates in your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reporter

Christopher Borro is a reporter at the Star-Herald. He can be reached at email at christopher.borro@starherald.com.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Trending

Breaking News