SIDNEY — A Cheyenne County District Court grand jury found no wrongdoing in the shooting of a Sidney man killed by a Sidney Police officer.
Sidney Police Officer Randy VerMaas shot Mark Antonio Panduro, 29, on Sunday, June 20, after responding to a domestic violence call.
Panduro allegedly confronted responding officers with a weapon after a report from Panduro’s girlfriend.
At the time of the incident, Cheyenne County Attorney Paul told police that Panduro threatened to shoot himself and others. The couple had been involved in a fight the evening before the shooting that continued into the next day.
Witnesses to the shooting said VerMaas repeatedly ordered Panduro to drop his weapon before the shooting, a search warrant affidavit said. The Nebraska State Patrol conducted the initial investigation of the scene.
People are also reading…
A grand jury is required to be convened when a suspect dies while in police custody or during apprehension.
Banner County Attorney James Zimmerman oversaw the grand jury process as special prosecutor. Three special investigators, Scottsbluff Police Capt. Kevin Spencer, Scottsbluff Police Capt. Brian Wasson and Gering Police Capt. George Holthus conducted the special investigation.
In Nebraska, grand jury proceedings are closed to the public. Only findings are released to the public. The grand jury determined that a “no true bill” existed, meaning that they found no basis for an indictment on criminal charges. Cheyenne County District Court Clerk Deanna Volkmer said Judge Derek Weimer signed the findings into the record at about 5:15 p.m.

